Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spanish? Challenge Accepted

It's been a few days, huh?
I was trying to get on a schedule, bu life threw me a loop with this research project starting.

So far, it's a bit of a brain break, but I love it. It's a lot of math, a lot of combinatorial-style problems, and a lot of fun. Even if it leaves me wide awake at 2:48 a.m. with my laptop and a folder/notebook full of half-finished combinations. :) I thought about giving a rundown of what we're doing, but I'm not sure that'd be an interesting read, so I'm going to talk about something new I'm working on.

I have the most amazing opportunity I can imagine. One of my best friends is an international student from the Central American country of Honduras, and I have been invited to visit him for a week over the summer. With my research stipend, I have enough to purchase my plane ticket, and I will be staying with his family, so it's beginning to look like it actually may happen.

I have one slight problem. I speak muy poquito espanol (Gosh, I hope that grammar is correct. It's supposed to say very little Spanish), and if you haven't guessed, my grammar is atrocious. So I'm headed the library tomorrow to check out a., Spanish for Dummies, and b., the first three Harry Potter books in Spanish. I'm actually really excited.

One of these days, you'll see one of my Harry Potter rants, and it'll all make sense. I am a Harry Potter fanatic. Like, memorized the Sorting Hat's songs and prophecies fanatic. One of my best friends' little brother and I used to quiz each other all the time; my best friend since I was six sets aside certain times during our hang outs for Harry Potter-related debate (was Peter Pettigrew evil or just misunderstood?; Snily vs. Jily; etc.). I'm a die-hard Potterhead, and actually pretty proud of it. So reading it in a new language? Challenge accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment